The firm traces its roots back to the end of the 19th Century when James Wilson CA commenced business, principally house factoring, from 135 Wellington Street, Glasgow.
He was joined on 1 July 1902 by Walter Nelson CA, who had been an accountant with McGrigor Donald. The firm became Wilson & Nelson, Chartered Accountants. The two practiced together until they were joined in 1911 by Andrew Gilmour, and in 1912 by Thomas Scott.
On 31 March 1917 James Wilson left, taking most of the house factoring business with him. The three remaining partners continued in business as Nelson Gilmour & Scott and moved offices to 184 West George Street. In 1920 Thomas Scott retired to become a hotelier in the Isle of Man. The firm changed its name to Nelson, Gilmour & Co.
Nelson Gilmour & Co Staff - September 1933
On 1 April 1935, Walter Nelson and Andrew Gilmour were joined in partnership by John Scott, brother of Thomas Scott, and Andrew Clark.
The firm became Nelson Gilmour Scott & Co. and the name was to remain unchanged for the next 39 years.
John Scott had been in business on his own since 1912. He died aged 65 in January 1950. John’s son, also John, became a partner shortly thereafter in April 1950 but left the partnership to emigrate to Canada in 1954. Around 1950 the firm moved to 145 St. Vincent Street.
Andrew Clark had joined the firm in 1928. He went on to become senior partner and held that position from 1950 until his retirement in 1972. His son Archie was assumed a partner in 1970 and also became senior partner from 1998 until his retiral in 2002.
James K Gilmour, the nephew of Andrew Gilmour became a partner in 1938. He served with the Royal Navy during the war but returned as a partner in 1946. He retired in 1973 thereby ending the family connection to our founders.
On 1 April 1962 the firm amalgamated with the firm of John Kennedy & Co. with John Kennedy and his son Bill Kennedy becoming partners.
The firm moved to 200 St Vincent Street in 1964.
Nelson Gilmour Scott & Co Staff - February 1957
In 1968 Robert S Gillies became a partner. He had trained with Smith & Williamson and had joined the firm in 1955. He became senior partner in 1980 and held that position until his retirement in 1998. His son Gibb is one of our current Partners.
On 31 March 1974 the firm amalgamated with the Glasgow Office of Smith & Williamson and the name was changed to Nelson Gilmour Smith & Co.
The firm relocated to 95 Bothwell Street in 1984 and then moved again in 2000, along the street, to our current address at 53 Bothwell Street.
The firm established its Hamilton office in October 1998 when it took over the existing business of David Williamson at 47 Cadzow Street, Hamilton. This office expanded in November 2002 with the acquisition of the practice of Robin Wilkie. Robin had trained with Nelson Gilmour Scott & Co and had some years previously been in partnership with David Williamson.
On 1 July 2009 the firm acquired the practice of Malcolm Mackenzie & Co, a long established and well respected firm based in East Kilbride. As with the previous acquisition of our Hamilton Office the firm has retained all the existing staff of the business including the former proprietor, Malcolm Mackenzie on a consultancy basis, and continues to operate from the same premises in The Village, East Kilbride, ensuring continuity of service and a familiar point of contact.